I completed two days of Week 1 Couch to 5K training. I felt great! The workout pushed me enough to raise my heart rate, but it did not push me over the edge to the point I felt exhausted. I even did an hour of yoga after my 2.5 mile run on Sunday. Sadly, I woke up on Monday with a cold and ended up in bed for two days. Obviously, I could not complete Week 1 of training. However, I did complete an hour of strength training yoga yesterday evening since I was feeling somewhat better.
The most important thing to remember in yoga is your breathing. Concentrate on breathing in and out through your nose. This is commonly called "ujjayi" breathing. The length and speed of the breath is controlled by the diaphragm. The inhalations and exhalations are equal in duration and are controlled in a manner that causes no distress to the person practicing yoga. When done correctly, you will notice a "rushing" or "ocean" sound when exhaling. I stand in the mountain pose for several minutes and focus on my ujjayi breathing. Your back should give you confidence when standing in the mountain pose. Remember to hold your posture and to have the balls of your feet grounded to the Earth. I find it helpful to lift my toes to make sure they are not gripping the mat. Close your eyes or focus on a point in front of you. Clear your mind. Breathe.